Job DescriptionWe are looking to bring in a Staff Software Engineer to help us build, improve and scale our internal runtime platform based on cutting edge technologies such as Docker, Kubernetes and Hashicorp’s Consul and Vault. Additionally, you’ll be helping us build myriad monitoring, management and alerting systems, dashboards, tracking systems and myriad other tools. Our goals include improving Zendesk reliability, automating the operations side of software, and providing a self-service runtime platform for Zendesk product engineering to leverage.
What you get to do every day:
- Work with hardworking, senior level software engineers.
- Design and build the core runtime platform for Zendesk microservices based on Kubernetes and a host of other open source tech
- Enhance the platform with advanced self healing and configuration management capabilities.
- Contribute to open source projects.
- Assist other engineers running their workloads on our Kubernetes based platform.
- Work with our compliance and security teams to ensure the systems we build are highly reliable, secure, and SOC-II Compliant.
- Participate in a tightly knit, cohesive and self-organizing Scrum team.
What you bring to the role:
- BS degree in Computer Science or related technical field, or equivalent practical experience
- Minimum 6 years of professional experience developing software, with experience building robust, fault tolerant systems.
- Working knowledge of GoLang, Ruby and/or Scala programming language(s)
- Experience working with Docker and Kubernetes.
- Strong ownership of your work, with an ability to drive a project to completion.
- Champion of best practices, high quality code, and proper test coverage. We ship code frequently and fast, but stability and reliability must never be compromised!
Nice to haves:
- Experience programming against the APIs of any of the following:
- Container Orchestration systems such as Kubernetes, Mesos, Swarm or similar
- Service Discovery systems such as Etcd, Zookeeper, Consul or equivalent
- Networking systems like NGINX, Envoy, Istio, flannel, or equivalent
- Experience designing and implementing systems to automate platform level features, such as configuration management, network routing, blue/green or canary deployments, etc.
- Comfortable with operations concepts & technologies. (Examples of tools you’re familiar with might include Chef, Ansible, CloudFormation, Packer and Terraform. This isn’t an Ops position, but we are engineering solutions to automate Operations workflows)
Zendesk builds software for better customer relationships. It empowers organizations to improve customer engagement and better understand their customers. Zendesk products are easy to use and implement. They give organizations the flexibility to move quickly, focus on innovation, and scale with their growth.
More than 150,000 paid customer accounts in over 150 countries and territories use Zendesk products. Based in San Francisco, Zendesk has operations in the United States, Europe, Asia, Australia, and South America.
Interested in knowing what we do in the community? Check out the to learn more about how we engage with, and provide support to, our local communities.
Zendesk is an equal opportunity employer, and we’re proud of our ongoing efforts to foster in the workplace. Individuals seeking employment at Zendesk are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, medical condition, ancestry, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
By submitting your application, you agree that Zendesk may collect your personal data for recruiting, global organization planning, and related purposes. Zendesk's explains what personal information Zendesk may process, where Zendesk may process your personal information, its purposes for processing your personal information, and the rights you can exercise over Zendesk’s use of your personal information.