DO WORK THAT MATTERS
At Abbott, diverse ideas, perspectives, and expertise allow us to create the life-changing solutions that help people live healthier lives. In 150 countries and with businesses spanning nutrition, diagnostics, medical devices, and branded generic pharmaceuticals, Abbott offers you enormous opportunities to explore your interests and help you achieve your career and personal goals.
Abbott Rapid Diagnostics (formerly Alere) is part of Abbott’s Diagnostics family of businesses, bringing together exceptional teams of experts and industry leading technologies. The position of IT Digital Business Relationship Manager (ARDx Digital BRM) within Technology Solutions business unit is located in Lake Forest – Chicago, Illinois. This role is responsible for the ARDx IT portfolio with respect to Digital Technology to include ultimate accountability for working with our business partners at multiple levels to create a future vision for Digital, roadmap a strategy and oversee execution. You will also have accountability for IT for our Marketing function, including interfacing with our Marketing organization, creating capability roadmaps and driving program execution.
The ARDx Digital BRM ensures the portfolio enhances organizational strategy through successful prioritization, consistent and predictable delivery of programs, projects and applications with excellent understanding of the business, processes and collaboration. The successful candidate has expertise in the evolution of technologies and the regulations relevant to the business area, while proactively identifying areas of opportunity to apply IT for new business opportunities, process improvement, and cost efficiencies; while providing insight on how to best develop and leverage IT capabilities for the organization.
The ARDx Digital BRM will influence and partner with business leaders (Director, Sr. Director level, DVP and EVP) to manage and align the IT portfolio. They will closely collaborate with other parts of ARDx IT, adjacent business departments, and external partners to ensure adequate and timely delivery of agreed services, in line with agreed service levels. They will also partner and collaborate with key IT staff of other Abbott divisions and Corporate functions in order to support cross divisional business initiatives and explore IT synergies and efficiencies.
This role will also build and maintain strategic relationships with key software vendors as well as counterparts at other similar companies. They will agree with management and align with overall global governance on the portfolio of programs, projects, and applications, and ensure that unit long range plan and budgets are aligned while negotiating for and securing resources to meet the long- range needs of the area. Further, this role will oversee area IT budgets, project capital/RCE expenditures continually looking for opportunities for cost reductions and cost avoidance.
- Functions as the primary point of contact for IT needs for ARDx business units with respect to Digital and is responsible for prioritizing demand, and contribute to the business unit (BU) strategy and translate business strategy in an aligned IT strategy and portfolio of programs, projects and applications.
- Has a constant awareness of evolving regulatory requirements and will influence the IT stakeholders and vendors in addressing these evolutions in the most efficient way. The incumbent possesses the ability to assess the overall needs of multiple business units and to negotiate an accepted portfolio meeting the most strategic needs of the BU.
- Involves IT business consultants and external technology experts as needed, and will advise business unit(s) about similar strategies employed by other similar companies.
- Operates with goals set by Finance and IT leadership, manages impact on capital budget, expenses and major project completion, and understands erroneous decisions would normally result in failure to complete projects critical to major objectives of the business unit.
- Recommends strategic decisions that impact the business unit, manages initiatives that span virtual teams across the world and cross cultures, resolves issues raised to the governance committees of projects and ensures projects stay in scope.
- Responsible for exhibiting professional behavior with both internal/external business associates that reflects positively on the company and is consistent with the company’s policies and practices.
- Responsibility to understand and maintain awareness of the quality consequences which may occur from the improper performance of their specific job.
- Demonstrates business acumen with significant business interaction experience, including establishing and managing relationships across all levels of the business and operating effectively at management level in a culturally diverse business environment.
- Distinctive leadership – decision maker, well respected by internal and external teams and business leaders.
- Confident communicator, able to explain complex technical concepts in an accessible, understandable way to varied audiences.
- Ability to work in a highly dynamic, fast-paced environment with continuous challenges.
- Proven understanding and utilization of best practice solutions to drive predictable outcomes.
- Ability to effectively oversee and manage external partner relationships, contracts and service agreements with broad IT expertise in various disciplines like system development, infrastructure, and IT roadmap development.
- Demonstrates operational and organizational skills, and a proven ability to effectively meet deadlines and milestones, and establish program/project management governance.
- Strong interdisciplinary, intercultural, influence, negotiation and networking skills.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, business administration or technical discipline relevant for the healthcare industry.
- 7 + years’ IT experience in a global organization - Healthcare, Pharmaceutical, BioTech or Medical Device, highly desired.
- 4 + years’ experience with application of digital technology across multiple facets of a business operation, strategy and long-range portfolio planning.
- 4 + years’ experience in Regulatory Guidance regarding compliance with intended specifications including GxP validation, SOX and financial auditing areas, Vendor management and Project management.
- 3 years’ experience managing operations and large ($10MM+) programs across multiple International locations, required.
- Managing successful partnerships and ability to influence all levels of the organization in a highly matrixed, global organization.
- Developing customer journey/digital touch-point mapping, building and managing web properties as part of an integrated approach and processing improvements to enable more agility with website/mobile/social platforms and using mobile to support operational improvement efforts, customer engagement initiatives/new business opportunities.
- Overhauling customer-facing technology systems and builds applications that support the customer engagement model or other digital initiatives.
- Establishing digital metrics and measurements.
- Managing financial implications of applications ranging up to $20 MM
- Supporting leadership teams with management of assigned cumulative project budgets ranging from $5 MM to $20 MM per year and 3,000-20,000 users globally.
- Carrying out duties in compliance with established business policies and procedures to the development, implementation and effectiveness of applicable Quality Processes as per ISO, FDA, and other regulatory agencies.
- Experience implementing Digital Innovation Projects (e.g. Mobile Apps, IoT, AR/VR)
- Functional Understanding of eCommerce, PCE, SEO, SEM, web CMS
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States without the need for employer sponsorship, now or at any time in the future
- Must be willing to work or relocate to the Chicago, IL area.
- 25% International travel, required.
- MBA or advanced degree, desired
- Experience with eCommerce and website implementations.
- Experience with large complex programs
- Experience with Agile implementation methodologies.
- Experience with e-commerce concepts such as personalization, shopping carts, customer service, subscription management, payment gateways, credit checking, content creation and management; and general search concepts such as guided search, search interfaces, and relevancy ranking is desirable.
At Abbott, we're committed to helping people live their best possible life through the power of health. For more than 125 years, we've brought new products and technologies to the world -- in nutrition, diagnostics, medical devices and branded generic pharmaceuticals -- that create more possibilities for more people at all stages of life. Today, 99,000 of us are working to help people live not just longer, but better, in the more than 150 countries we serve.
An equal opportunity employer, Abbott welcomes and encourages diversity in our workforce. We provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. To request an accommodation, please send an email to